Sunday 11 October 2009

Retro Gamer Intro

I've just noticed that an unused and unreleased C64 intro has been uploaded to CSDb by Shaun Bebbington, a former staff writer on UK magazine 'Retro Gamer'.


The 'blinds' code effect was by MTR1975 and I pixelled the Retro Gamer logo.  Shaun has has left a comment on the intro's CSDb entry page and he states:

"This is a file that I 'commissioned' in 2005 (June or July I think) whilst I was working on the UK magazine Retro Gamer. MTR provided the code, and Andy V rendered the graphics from the magazine's logo. The idea was to sellotape it to any C64 releases we'd have on the coverdisk, but it never worked out that way. A shame really, but here's the file in all its glory just in case TMR wants to do anything with it."

And that pretty much explains the purpose of this little intro.  I'll have to take Shaun's word for it on the dates.  While don't remember why I ended up doing the pixelling, whether I was asked or if I volunteered after a discussion somewhere (probably on IRC), I *do* remember MTR becoming a little annoyed with me for not asking him first before me saying he would code while I pixelled.  Understandable really.

If anyone is wondering why the logo in the intro looks different to the logo of the magazine today, after the original publishers 'Live Publishing' went bust, the title was bought and underwent a redesign by new publishers 'Imagine Publishing'.

I'm pretty sure that I did another version of the logo which I preferred where the main colour was light grey instead of white.  Not sure why that wasn't used and I can't find the grey version anywhere.

The intro can be downloaded from CSDb here...

Downloading directly from this blog will get you the original logo in Koala format as well as the intro. Just click here...

No comments:

Post a Comment