Saturday 25 August 2018

Mutations Recording

Back in 2014, I remixed/covered one of my favourite C64 tunes Mutants by Fred Gray, which was then released by Arkanix Labs in a C64 demo called 'Mutations'.

This 'from scratch' remix featured a complete rearrangement of the whole tune, addition of drums and the use of heavily filtered bass, in an attempt to produce a more 'chilled' and mellow version of the original tune.

Also on the demo disk was a note file that featured my cover of the music from the SEGA arcade game 'Space Harrier'.  The 1980's C64 conversion of the arcade featured a great version of the arcade tune by Mark Cooksey, using his 'trademark' sounds. However, it didn't sound very authentic to the original and varied slightly in arrangement. My version attempted to sound closer to the arcade tune in sound and arrangement.

Fast forward 4 years and having recently hooked up my 8580 SID equipped C64c to my Dolby amp, I've recorded the SID tunes and uploaded them to SoundCloud.  Listen to them below.

If the players don't appear below, hear the music on my SoundCloud page.  The Mutations track is here and the Space Harrier cover is here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment